17 February 2011

World Shibori Network: Proenza Schouler's SS11 collex brings "shibori" to fashionista lexicon

World Shibori Network: Proenza Schouler's SS11 collex brings "shibori" to fashionista lexicon



I am so happy to see this distinction being made by the fashion world. The fact that the surface design is being distinguished as shibori is a win. I am fascinated with shibori technique, mostly I experiment with arashi shibori in my studio. I find it a fascinating study, because I fold the fabric by hand rather than machine. Each time I fold and wrap the silk I don't know what sort of design will emerge.

The shibori process is involved and time consuming, as a result, I don't allocate time to the shibori technique on a regular basis, but rather when I find extra time on my hands, that is when I like to experiment with shibori.

I have experimented with monochromatic dye baths as well as with multi-colored dyes as well as overdyeing and discharging. My largest shibori pieces were created for a fine art installation at Ashland Art Works in 2003.

Here is a monochromatic robin's egg blue shibori dyed silk scarf that I made after taking a class with Ana Lisa Hedstrom in San Francisco a couple of years ago. It's for sale in my Etsy store.

I'm going to be looking for more fashion references to this fabulous Japanese dying technique! I'm also inspired to create some time to further experiment with this ever enchanting technique!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for visiting Planet Joy and for sharing your comment!

 
UA-15509490-1