10 January 2012

Indie Insider: Chicky D's by Danielle Saletzki

As part of my BESTeam commitment, I feature the fabulous shops and talented artisans who comprise our team. The goal of the Boosting Etsy Shops Team is to support to each other and to promote one anothers' Etsy shops through blogging and social media. If you are an interested in joining BESTeam, please visit the team page on Etsy and join us. This year I'll be focusing on getting the inside scoop on my BESTies on Etsy!

Recently, I had the great good fortune to interview Danielle Saletzky. She lives in Peru, Illinois with her sleek feline companion Bagheera.
Bagheera the cat.
By day she's a professional graphic designer, in her spare time she operates not one, but two Etsy stores that showcase her creative talents! Chicky Ds is where you'll find fabulous hand made accessories and gifts specializing in bows, floral clips, headbands, pillows and more.  Danielle says favorite color is hot pink, but when it comes to her wardrobe, she gravitates towards warm earth-tones. Her second Etsy store, Danizabeth is where her passion for all things retro and nostalgic come through in her photography. 
"To the Christmas Tree Farm"
Recounting a treasured memory: "Ever since I can remember, Mom would always "hug" the tree we were considering as our Christmas tree for that year.  This was her way of seeing if it was full enough.  In recent years, my family has made somewhat of a joke of this.  This is my brother, Paul, and I doing the hug test."
Dani and brother Paul, at the Christmas tree farm. 
When she turns off her creativity at the end of the day it turns out that she is a reality TV nut!  While it's hard for her to narrow it down to one program, it appears her dance training during her school years has a lingering influence as her favorite show is So You Think You Can Dance. When asked what super power she'd most like to have; she said she'd like the ability to fly in order to be able to travel more quickly and easily to visit her long-distance friends. That is an ability that will be helpful when she get's to live her Picean dream of living by a tropical ocean beach. Dani got to check an item off her bucket list when she swam with the dolphins in Mexico a few years ago!
Swimming with the dolphins in Mexico.
Her inspiration is fueled by other people's creativity, in her own words, "When I look around me at what other artisans are doing, I want to further strive and push myself to be the best I can at any project I try." Looking ahead, her five-year plan envisions growing success, including a larger reach with product distribution as well as developing a signature item that is unique to Chicky D's. It's no surprise that her favorite creations are the jeweled flower hair clips and accessories for her best friend's wedding.
Dani (center) with friends.
Wedding accessories by Chicky Ds

11 comments:

  1. I am in love with Baheera and I want to live in the tropics too. My favorite place by the beach in Tulum. Tell me, what do you think of the Indie Insider concept?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great feature! Love getting to know new artists!

    ReplyDelete
  3. great interview, I also LOVE so you think you can dance :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. haha… love the "hug test" on the christmas tree!

    ReplyDelete
  5. wonderful feature - thanks for sharing! XO

    ReplyDelete
  6. Joy - really great feature. Indie Insider is an inspired idea! It's a treat to get to know a little bit more about our team mates - beyond our crafting/artisan/Etsy roles.

    Empty On the Inside
    Dough, Dirt & Dye

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the Indie Insider idea and feel honored to have been the first to be featured in this format :) Thank you!

    Danielle
    Chicky D's

    ReplyDelete
  8. Like the idea of the Indie Insider a lot - one can get a real feeling for how the creativity of everyone here gets started!

    Love the photo of Bagheera and the unique Christmas tree selection process!

    Would you, or someone else, please explain what the "Indie" bit that keeps cropping up on blogs, Etsy descriptions, etc. actually means - as a poor UK dweller, am not quite sure! Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a great feature! I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. And I love Danielle's sleek companion!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting Planet Joy and for sharing your comment!

 
UA-15509490-1