29 March 2012

Indie Insider featuring Empty on the Inside by Annie Oliverio

Today's Indie Insider features BEST Team member Annie Oliverio, of Seminole, Oklahoma. Annie's shop is called Empty on the Inside.  I love Annie's creative work, and I asked her a few questions which she has kindly responded to, read on, get to know more about her life and her work
In the artist's words, "Beauty is skin deep, beautiful on the inside, beautiful inside and out…these are the phrases that eventually morphed into Empty on the Inside. Having nothing to do with feeling blue or lonely or sad, it’s all about leaving space inside a thoughtfully-designed, hand-painted, handcrafted card for a personal, heart-felt message. So, my cards are “empty on the inside” and beautiful on the outside. I’ve left the space inside wide open for you to write your own thoughts and sentiments. You don’t need me or Hallmark or American Greetings to say it for you. The way you write is distinctive and the person receiving his or her card will appreciate the time you took to say that you miss them, love them, are thinking about them or want to wish them a happy birthday. 
Empty on the Inside offers unique cards for just about any reason you can think of for sending someone a greeting card and each one is made by hand, by me – one at a time."
Down the Drive 

What inspires you creatively?
It’s no surprise that the environment around me inspires: the changing colors of the pastures – gold to brown to green – the soft blue of distant treelines and hills, the way sunlight and shadow change the hues of green on leaves. Colors and shapes are what get my mind moving creatively – how shapes fit together within an imagined space; how colors sit next to each other. Often I’m inspired by flowers and leaves.
Evening Sky
Where would you live if you could live anywhere?
The answer to that is a bit of a moving target. I’ve been lucky to have lived in all kinds of different environments and have found something to love about each. There isn’t one kind of place that calls to me more strongly than others. The simplest answer is that the most appealing places to me are the ones where I’m surrounded by open space, the sounds of nature, animals and fresh air. 

Arch Vista
What book are you reading right now?
I’m in the middle of Finding Everett Ruess, by David Roberts. It’s a classic adventure story complete with intrigue and mystery – and the best part is, it really happened. Everett was an aspiring artist (his block prints are really quite good:everettruess.net/prints.html) and writer – an impulsive teenager who spent years combing the wild, empty spaces of northern California, New Mexico and Arizona. But he was most drawn to the desolate “no man’s land” of mesas, cliffs and canyons of southern Utah. He logged some amazing trips and experiences before his disappearance in 1934 at the age of 20. His two burros were found and two inscriptions carved into stone saying simply: Nemo, 1934 (You have to read the book to find out why searchers believed “Nemo” was Everett.) The cult of Everett Ruess is alive and well today. 
Braid
What is your favorite food or describe your specialty dish?
I have a very restless appetite which means that I’m continually looking for interesting recipes. I rarely duplicate unless it’s a very, very good recipe. The one firm constant is bread baking. There is something particularly satisfying about making bread which I don’t get from making a dessert or main dish. 
Ike on the Move

What do you like to do in your spare time?
My spare time ends up being the hour or so between the dog’s last walk of the evening and bedtime. That’s when I want to be deep in a comfy chair with a good book or working on a crossword by Merle Reagle. It’s my way of winding down from a busy day. 

By the way, if you like Annie's shop, you can follow her online in various places - - 
Facebook | Dough, Dirt & Dye Blog | An Unrefined Vegan Blog Facebook | Twitter

As part of my BESTeam commitment, I will feature several of the fabulous shops and talented artisans who comprise the team. What is BESTeam? It's The Boosting Etsy Shops Team and our goal is to give support to each other and to help promote each others' Etsy shops through blogging, Facebook and other social networks. If you are an Etsy shopowner and are interested in learning more about BESTeam, please visit the team page on Etsy or have a look at the BESTeam blog

8 comments:

  1. Nice interview, Joy - it's always good to learn more about our team-mates and I've seen more about Annie's surroundings than I have before. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Isobel, don't you just love it? The feeling of expansive countryside comes shining through, very idyllic!

      Delete
  2. Thank you SO MUCH, Joy! I feel like a celebrity!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Baby, you're a rock star!! Love the photos and the story! What a life!!

      Delete
  3. great chat, I was happy to find out who Everett Ruess was :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right! Annie is the certainly one of the most literate members of the BESTeam

      Delete
  4. I love these kinds of features!! great job. Love Annie!
    Debbi
    -yankeeburrowcreations

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Debbie - it's always interesting to learn more about our virtual friends, isn't it?

      Delete

Thank you for visiting Planet Joy and for sharing your comment!

 
UA-15509490-1