11 December 2012

It's a Work at Home Thing - WAHM

I was recently interviewed by Deborah Carney for a WAHMoms/WAHDads podcast, I hope you will tune in and listen, but if you don't have time, there is a brief written summary in today's blog. Your comments are always appreciated.

(Duration: 49:45 — 68.3MB) 

Myself with my youngest son Ryan
Tell us a little about yourself:
I was born and raised in Reading Pennsylvania, the eldest daughter of three children. My dad, Pat, takes credit for my pretty name, Kristin Joy Light (I have gone by my middle name since about age 28). I became interested in silk painting when my BFF Rosie, a textile designer, did a series of silk paintings one summer. She did not allow me to watch her process, but she did share her supply sources, and when I moved to Oregon in 1989 I began stocking my studio and trying my hand at it. I’ve lived in Oregon 23 years now, and my studio is in what used to be my 2-car garage. I have three children, all boys, ranging in age from 15-31. I love to drink espresso and do yoga. I am a member of the american craft council and The Artisan Group.
As a work at home parent what is your biggest challenge?
Scheduling is my biggest challenge, school sports schedules, holidays, inventory, all include scheduling, sometimes those schedules need careful adjustment so nothing gets left out in the shuffle.

What is the biggest advantage to being a work at home parent?

Working at home has been so valuable in terms of establishing consistency and stability for my boys when they were younger, and now, the comfort of working in my studio is a bonus I am very grateful for.
As a work at home parent what advice would you give other work at home parents?
Establish boundaries and maintain and re-evaluate your guidelines and goals frequently to stay on track!
Website
http://www.Joysilk.com is my main website, it’s like a showroom for my Natura Collection and my two best selling styles. 
www.joyflower.etsy.com This is my Etsy Shoppe, you can find smaller scarves and jewelry as well as other unique one-of-a-kind fashion accessories here. 
http://www.joysilk.blogspot.com This is my blog, it is personal and you can see some behind-the-scenes activities in my studio and garden, spotlights on other creative individuals, plus stories about my family and activities. 
https://twitter.com/JoySilk Is my twitter account @JoySilk 
https://www.facebook.com/JoySilk is my Facebook business page where you will see what is happening in the studio and keep abreast of our summer festival locations and dates, plus special offers for “fans” 
http://www.linkedin.com/in/joysilk
Thanks to GeekCast.fm for hosting all of our podcasts. Visit them for more podcasts about marketing and working from home. Also join the forum that is for women to interact with other successful women, JoinWOMU

4 comments:

  1. Happy hello! I am a new follower! found you on a blog hop!

    piecesofhomemosaics.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kate, welcome and thanks for following Planet Joy!

      Delete
  2. I used to live near Reading..small world isn't it! A new follower from the Linky Love Blog. Just kinda stumbled upon it. Hope you can stop by my blog as well.

    Anne Marie
    http://moanasuniquedesigns.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a small world! I loved there until 1979, I've been out west ever since! Where did you live? Thanks for following Planet Joy!

      Delete

Thank you for visiting Planet Joy and for sharing your comment!

 
UA-15509490-1