video series on facebook last year to demonstrate how to prepare the dough for this prized cookie. Here is the recipe for Pin Wheel Cookies (we always triple this recipe, as it is labor intensive and we always want more!!)
2/3 c sweet butter
2/3 c sugar
1/2 vanilla bean
1 3/4 c unbleached AP flour
1/4 c dark cocoa
1. cream butter & sugar, add vanilla bean seeds and beat in egg until smooth. Set aside 3/4c batter
2. add 1c flour to remaining batter, beat until smooth, roll out dough between waxed papers to 12"x8", refrigerate
3. mix remaining 3/4c flour with the cocoa and beat into remaining butter/sugar mixture, roll out as with white dough 12"x8" and refrigerate for 15 min.
4. place black & white cookie doughs together and roll the rolling pin over both doughs to consolidate, then roll up dough into a tight jelly roll lengthwise and refrigerate wrapped for 1 hour.
5. preheat oven to 375. lightly grease baking sheets
6. cut roll into 1/4" slices, arrange on cookie sheet and bake 12 min or until golden brown, cool on racks.